Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Halfway Home

Hi Folks - As you've gathered, we've come a long way, but we're only 'halfway home.' Max Sarine Dunlap was born at 11:53am CST, weighed 4 lbs. 8 oz., and measured 17.5 inches long. It is a little difficult to tell, but the concensus is that he has red hair! I've just returned from visiting Max (just Max, not Maxwell or Maximilian) in the NICU and he's doing really well. He is not using supplemental oxygen and was sleeping soundly.

As you may have seen from the comments, Danielle has been napping for the last hour to gather her strength for the 'final push' which will bring our little girl into the world. It's been so fun to meet Max, but now we're ready for his sister to join us.

Related to the topic of laboring, I realize that many of you may have been frustrated with the sparse information received from us after ~10pm last night. All I can say is that my services were needed for a much more important task, that of helping Danielle through her labor. She began a Pitocin drip ay 930am yesterday and it continued until Max's birth this morning, save one hour. Danielle and I worked all yesterday and throughout the entire night to help her body bring these babies out. Obviously, Danielle did the real work, and I can honestly say that I have never seen any physical or athletic achievement to rival her labor and delivery.

So now, we're back in a holding pattern as we wait for Danielle's uterus to get 'back on board' with the birthing process. I'll do my best to provide you with info, but please be patient.

Rudy

11 comments:

Amy & Marshall said...

Thanks for the update - we love you guys and are thinking of you - hang in there!!!

Jeff, Vicky and Kira said...

Great job guys! Hang in there and we'll keep thinking of you!! XOXO

Laura said...

Hey Dad, don't worry about our frustration just keep doing what you are doing. Danielle needs your focus ... we are just all in the stands cheering.

Becca said...

Your doing awesome, dad! :) Hang in there! We'll be a bit more patient for ya!

MIL & FIL said...

Not to worry Rudy...we gave updates when we had information! We are so happy and in such awe in bringing these little ones into your world. You have waited a long time for this day and we all rejoice in their arrival! *hugs*

Nancy said...

Congratulations guys! I'm so happy for you!

Nancy said...

wait, could they have different birthdays? how interesting that would be!

Becca said...

hope they have beers for the dad there at Austin Medical Center! :)

Susan said...

What an amazing birth story this will be! Update when you can...we're not going anywhere!

Jeremy said...

I have to say, you guys are both troopers. :) Hang in there. Hope the rest comes and goes quickly. :) BTW, I couldn't help that my first thought when I heard "Max" was Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North. Can I call him that? ;)

Becca said...

What an amazing compliment that Rudy gave you DD! Both of you are such strong people! I was watching the moon this morning as the colors came into the sky and thinking what a beautiful morn for you guys. Happy bonding as a family! XOXOXO