Thursday, October 14, 2010

And he sleeps....Day 9

Today's my first day going alone to the NICU. I definitely missed Rudy there but understand he has to bring home the bacon. And I know he sorely misses the little monkeys.

After a night of missing them tremendously, it felt great to get up and go directly to them. Its a gorgeous Fall day in Austin. I realized I hadn't driven in almost 4 weeks and it felt good to be independent again.

When I walked in to the NICU to greet M&V, I peeked into Vivi's isolette to see her looking back at me. She never is awake it seems so it was nice to see her alert. Her eyes looked directly into mine and she opened her mouth wide open. It was probably due to hunger, but was adorable nonetheless.

Going over to peek into Max's isolette, I found him asleep and with his feeding tube out. Usually Max, around feeding time, is alert and waiting. Not today. It was as if the tube was out and he was happy and sleepy. Unfortunately, he had to have it put back in, something I am sure he had forgotten when he reached in to pull it out in the first place. He sleeps with his hands above his head, just like Rudy. Also, he sucks on his fingers which inevitably means he pulls the darn thing out. One day they won't have all these wires and tubes and velcro....

Stats - Vivi is now 4 lb, 13 oz. Max is catching up and weighs in at a whopping 4lb, 12 oz. They continue to have 4 feedings on the bottle and 4 via a feeding tube. They are learning to breathe, suck and swallow - slow but steady....

3 comments:

Susan said...

I love all the updates! Congrats again and keep all the pictures coming too!

Susan

Mom said...

I love the update(s) too! How cute that Vivi was awake and looking at you when you peered into her isolette! More pics please! (We're just missing you and them!) XXOO

Becca said...

Your love for these sweet little ones is so evident in your posts! I want to peek into those isolettes with you. Sounds like they are progressing well! Thanks for the update! :)