Tuesday, October 7, 2008

les portes de Quebec

As I am walking around Quebec, I am wondering when we decided to design things differently.  By different, I mean less detailed, plain, without character in my opinion.  It seems in America as in Quebec, houses and buildings had more detail 100 years ago.  Why are these amazing doors still being created?  Or maybe they are and we just choose the standard door from Home Depot.

I took photos of doors throughout Quebec; it seems that life feels richer here.  There is more beauty in the details.  People seem to live with less - less square footage, less clothing (people often wear the same clothing several times in one week), less cars, even less food at the restaurants.  What I see more of is socialization in common places - bars and cafes are packed on Sunday and Monday nights with families, neighbors, co-workers.  They seem genuinely happy with less things and more community.  




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the doors! You must be a chip off the 'ol block. I took dozens of pictures of windows when we visited various parts of Mexico. I want copies of yours!!!