Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Far From Home

I've given it a lot of thought and this move to Texas from Georgia has been as culturally different for me as New York is to North Carolina. It is coming to me in thoughts here and there - life is different here in Texas. We live in Texas (I am still in shock)! Rudy and I sometimes cannot grasp it. Why? I am not quite sure. In our almost 11 years of marriage we have moved about 5 times to different cities and towns - so moving is not new to us. I realize what made Athens different the second time around. We purchased our first home in 2004 in Athens. It was our home. I have not felt an attachment to a house since I first met Rudy in 1993 when my family lived on Lake Bend Way in Greensboro, NC. We still miss that house. And although we still own our Athens house, we miss it as well.

Ironically, we are now craving stability and somehow we dislike the idea of settling here. The job is excellent, the friendships have begun and seem sincere, my health is continuing to improve - why not settle here? Something tells us both, this is not "it." Only time will tell. There are many adventures ahead - for that we are certain!

For now, trips to Austin will have to do - we love Austin! And this weekend we are headed there AGAIN to relax and enjoy. We may even consider living there at some point - but for now, we will commit to another year in College Station.

No comments: